Public Services Librarian
|Benefits:||Full-time benefit eligible|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The Public Services Librarian provides and promotes access to the library’s resources and services for students, faculty, and staff using print, e-mail, social media, and web communications. The Public Services Librarian also manages the daily function of the circulation/information desk, including reserves, coordinate reference services, and provide formal and informal instruction in the use of library services/resources. |
|Duties:||1. Coordinate formal and informal instruction, orientation, and support in use of library resources for curricular and extracurricular purposes, provide reference service to patrons using all sources, and perform literature searches in response to requests from faculty, staff, or health professionals.
2. Plan, develop, and implement university-wide outreach programs and strategies, and communicate news of library collections, services, and other library events to the university community and beyond.
3. Ensure that the desk is properly staffed ~95 hrs./week, manage reserves collection, manage circulation functions of the library management system and train staff in circulation functions, handle all statistical and financial recordkeeping aspects of the circulation department, train new student and evening/weekend staff, supervise student assistants and library clerks, and conduct performance evaluations.
4. Coordinate library web page updates and 2.0 communication tools (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.).
5. Coordinate electronic resources, negotiate licenses, and maintain records for contracts.
6. Evaluate print and e-resources for possible addition to library collection.
7. As subject specialist, recommend new materials for library collection, perform scanning of journals in subject area to stay current on latest trends and research, meet periodically with department representative to learn issues/concerns.
|Qualifications:||ALA accredited Masters degree (MA, MS, MLS) or equivalent in Library/Information Science
Four (4) years or more library experience
Supervisory experience desired
Web design/2.0 tools
Academic or medical library background
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.